POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Parse weirdness : Parse weirdness Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Parse weirdness
From: Andrew C on Mozilla
Date: 6 Jun 2004 10:55:26
Message: <40c3305e$1@news.povray.org>
Here's an interesting one for you...

I've got a scene that won't parse; I get an error message half way
through one of the include files. Here's a snippet of the source:

-----
#declare Thingy =
object
{
   sphere...
-----

I get an error on the line with the open bracket. The error reads

Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive', { found instead.

...ok, so that's strange.

But is gets stranger... if I comment out a certain macro call, the error
dissapears! :-0 (The scene renders correctly. Trouble is, the bit I have
to comment out is the main animation control function!)

* * *

OK, so I've now spent about 2 hours trying to find a cause for this
bizzare behaviour... I eventually tracked down the source; there was an
#fclose command without a file handle.

This is really irritating. Why can't POV-Ray just issue and error
message if you reach the #end of a macro and the target for #fclose
hasn't been reached yet?

Andrew @ home.